RedBrick Ubuntu DIY
If you're already running linux you'll probably want to integrate our java changes rather than re-install.
These instructions are based on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (the version the cd is based on). This process will vary between distributions.
From a terminal run:
sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk
This will install java on your system
Adding Files for First Year java
Programs in first year java rely on extra classes and jars not part of normal java.
- Use "sudo su" to become root
- cd /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk
- wget http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~receive/java/Console.class
- wget http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~receive/java/robots.jar
- wget http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~receive/java/graphics.jar
Setting the classpath
- cd /etc/profile.d
- wget http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~receive/java/java.sh
- chmod 755 java.sh
This will download a script that sets the classpath to include the jars/class we just downloaded. This script is ran for all shells.
More about how we build the CD
The above is how we added the java support onto the image used to build the live cd. For more about how the live cd was actually constructed read help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization